Saturday, May 26, 2012

Weekend Work


Brian came home from work on Friday and we had burritos for dinner.  He got his new hot sauce out and then he got out a straw. 

He put the straw in the bottle.



It's scary hot.

It looked like he was going to drink it along with his burrito, but he was just trying to loosen up the hot sauce that was stuck in the bottle neck.

After dinner we went to Lowe's. 

We got a lot of things for some home improvement projects we're going to try and tackle.






Here is Brian loading gutter pieces into the van. 


Later that night we began one of our projects.  A new garbage disposal for the kitchen sink.  Ours had died a week ago or so.  I know!! 

So, the old one was so rusted on that we had to WD40 it.  And then we waited. 

Finally it let go and we were moving again.  I replaced all of the pieces - can't remember what they're all called now. 

The thing in the sink got replaced too. 

Brian did the wiring while I took pictures.  See my little waffle maker there on the counter?  We love it! 

About now is when we discovered that the gasket that was supposed to come with our new disposal was not in the box.  DOH!

So, we couldn't go any further and it was after midnight so we decided to go to bed.


I woke up bright and early and took some of the kids to the store for donuts as we had no water in the kitchen sink.  I also went to Lowe's to pick up a gasket and found this really cool flexible waste tube.  So, we got home, had donuts and hosed off the roof for another one of our projects. 

Then I got back to work on the disposal while Brian and James started priming the gutters.




So I had the thing in and we were just about to test it. 

Brian took this picture of me 'working' under the sink.  It was a little staged because I was already done.  Or so I thought.  See my smile?  That is because this is just before the leaking started.

So, the thing was leaking.  I got some over the phone support from our resident plumber/carpenter/AC repairman/mechanic/bricklayer/etc.. 

He advised me to turn around my gasket and also gave me a hint on how to make it work without that handy flexible waste tube thingy. 


The result?



The new disposal. 

And it works too!!

Then we had some brats and hotdogs on the grill and some watermelon for lunch.













We did some caulking and patching on the roof after that.  I didn't take any pictures because it's UGLY!  Maybe I will tomorrow. 

Then we got the kids in their swim suits and took them to the spray ground.  For all you Northerners who may not know what a spray ground is - it's basically a soft, non slip surface that is dotted with sprinklers and water buckets and other such fun things. 

The best part about it is that our yard doesn't turn into a mud slip-n-slide. 



When we got there it was PACKED. 

We're talking sardine-like. 

There was no way that Matthew was going to come out of there unscathed.  So, we had to make an executive decision to abandon the spray ground plan and head to the buffet instead. 

I'd like to call the following Matthew at the Buffet.













Two brothers and their second mint chocolate chip ice cream cones.


Peter needed one too. 


 
Who lets their kids go to the buffet and make such a mess?? I mean really!

Then we came home and Brian and James painted some more gutters. 

More work to be done. 

Stay tuned. 



1 comment:

Wife of the Farmer said...

Good thing you aren't afraid to tackle those home projects! Looks like the kids enjoyed the ice cream probably just as much as the spray ground.
Love you all!
xo